This past summer I was exposed to entrepreneurship during my internship working for a residential construction company. The construction field does not welcome change eagerly, and technology in the field is incorporated very slowly. Being the youngest one in the office and, according to my boss, the most knowledgable in technology I was sent to a meeting with the owner of Co-construct. Co-construct is a project management software aimed to help builders build a better communication channel between them, owners, and subcontractors as well as create schedules, invoices, and progress charts. The meeting went fantastic, the owner had a great attitude and patiently sat down with me to make sure I understood the software and the benefits to using it. He was showing us this tool, this resource, that had the capability of changing and evolving the process of completing the scope of work in a positive manner.
I enrolled in ENT3003 because I wish to be self-employed when I graduate in December with my degree in Construction Management. I would like to see a lot of change in the traditional construction field in my construction company such as a greater use in technology and "green" building among other things. Coming out of this class I would like to know how to use my resources to implement this change and how to organize and manage my business.
Summer,
ReplyDeleteYour story is a great example of how our generation can use technology to better the world around us. Taking this class while majoring in construction management is a fantastic idea. I'm an advertising major and I hope to get the same thing from this class as you - learning how to use my resources and skills to organize projects and campaigns. I hope we can both learn how to seek out opportunities and gain insight on what it takes to problem solve in our world today.
It sounds like this class will help you in your endeavor to open your own business. I am a Business major and hope to one day open my own business. My goals are very similar to yours in that I think most fields not related to science or computer technology are very open to new technological advancements and would rather do things the "old" way, so there is a need for younger people who know more about technology that are willing to make changes to better the field they are in.
ReplyDelete