Gruilding
(Green + Building)
In the construction industry, green building is becoming
very popular. With organizations such as LEED, Leadership in Energy and
Environmental Design, that give out recognition to builders and buildings for efficiency,
we are paving the path for green building to become a normal practice that is
used on every construction project. My portmanteau is “gruilding,” and I used
it for the past two weeks in the construction office I am interning in. At
first, I was really shy to introduce the new word, only telling my boss and
close co-worker, but slowly I started using it in front of more people. The
problem I ran into was that the younger people at the office, let’s say under
30 years old, found the word funny but started using it. The older people at
the office pretty much just rolled their eyes at me every time I mentioned the
word. However, I have been finding through my experiences that older people in
construction are really slow when it comes to change, I am currently trying to
teach half of them the advantages of reading blueprints on an IPad to no avail.
After my two weeks I would say “gruilding” was accepted by about half of the
construction office staff, which is honestly a better turnout than I was
expecting!
No comments:
Post a Comment
summer.roque@gmail.com