Thursday, June 16, 2016

Halfway Reflection

                                      





1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course?

Managing my time efficiently is a huge behavior I have used to keep up with this course. I have also learned to not procrastinate on assignments, especially when we were given a heads up to start early. A behavior that I have developed during this course is thinking outside of the box and being creative. Coming from the construction industry my past couple years have dealt with more math, science, and management skills than creative ones. This class has pushed me out of my comfort zone and shown me that being a part of the entrepreneurship field is hard work!

2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?

I honestly felt like giving up on this course the first three weeks of it. Week 1 was also my first week interning for a construction office and I am averaging about 50 hour weeks. I was not prioritizing my time efficiently and juggling work, school, exercising, and starting my own contracting company turned into not completing assignments at all. During the third week I counted up my measly points and decided if there was any hope for me doing well in this course I needed to buckle down, so I blew the dust off my planner and got organized! I printed a calendar with all my assignments and started dedicating my lunch and day breaks to the course. With proper time management I started developing a tenacious attitude and stopped leaving everything to all be done at the end of the week.


3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset'?

-Do not leave assignments until the last minute. Especially ones that are advised otherwise, such as the reading reflections that we were told to start way ahead of time.

- It helps to print out a calendar with all of the due dates so that you allot ample time to complete each assignment and spread out the work accordingly.

 - Take the assignments seriously, you get the amount that you put in. If you don’t try so hard on a reflection or assignment, you aren’t going to learn much from it.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Summer, I agree that students should definitely not try to procrastinate in this course. Spreading things outs (such as getting interviews) to maybe one a day will help students meet their goals for this course. I like the idea of creating a calendar. That would be a great tool for a lot of students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your situation with long work hours and many things on your plate at once is common for many students. I know I have had to remind myself on a regular basis that I am still taking a college course. I also thought about giving up but during the break I decided to push through. Good luck with your busy schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer,

    I agree that it is extremely difficult to balance the workload of this course with another job. I like your "you get what you put in" attitude. I couldn't agree more. To be able to work and complete all the work for this class takes really strong time management skills. I know I have trouble balancing work, school, and social life. Keep up the good work though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly agree with your first tip! It is very necessary to not leave the assignments to the last minute with this class. It is very tough to do a lot of the assignments in one sitting and therefore it is best to take your time to plan everything ahead of time accordingly! I also agree that taking the assignments seriously really makes a difference if you want to be successful in the class.

    ReplyDelete

summer.roque@gmail.com