Sunday, July 17, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

1. Organizational skills
This isn’t really a rare or inimitable resource because many people are organized, however, it is valuable because organization makes processes easier. I do not think it is substitutable. 
2. Determination 
I am not sure if this is rare or inimitable but it is valuable because if a person is determined they will not give up easy with their goals. It is also not substitutable. 
3. Contact with a portable restroom company
I think this resource is both valuable and rare, since I want to open a portable restroom company as my business venture it would be very valuable to ask questions and see how other companies work, and it is rare because I don’t think many people have this type of company as a contact. It is not inimitable because I think anyone can reach out and network if they wanted to, and it cannot be substituted since that is the exact business I would like to open. 
4. Contact with a supplier to the industry
This is definitely a valuable resource because I could use this supplier for my own company needs. It is not rare as there are many suppliers, which also makes it substitutable and imitable. 
5. Contact with a dumpster supplier 
This is a valuable contact because this resource is a market expert and would be dealing with the same customers as I would. It is not rare and can be substituted for another market supplier, however I think it would be hard to imitate. 
6. Knowledge and experience in construction
This is not too rare seeing as many people are in the field but it is very valuable to know your customers. It can not be imitated or substituted being as you either know the field or you don’t. 
7. Contact with several construction companies
This is pretty rare because not many people can contacts with construction companies. It is very valuable because these can be potential future customers or can refer me to customers. It cannot be imitated or substituted seeing as I am mainly targeting the construction field. 
8. Hard worker
This resource is not rare or inimitable as many people have the ability to work hard. It is however a valuable trait that can help my business, and it cannot be substituted. 
9. Experience owning a business
It is not rare to own a business these days but the knowledge of owning one is very valuable seeing as this venture includes owning a business. It can be imitated but it cannot be substituted. 
10. Quick learner 
This resource is not rare, can maybe be substituted, but it very valuable. I do not know much about the mechanics of portable toilets but by being a fast learner I am sure I can learn it all quickly. It can be imitated if someone learns fast. 


My top resource would probably be my contact with several construction companies. It checked out the entire VRIN process as it is rare, valuable, inimitable, and non-substitutable and can be a great resource for my company as it would lead to potential clients. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Summer,
    I also agree that network with several construction companies is a huge advantage for you. If anything goes wrong with one company, you already have a handful of back-up companies to finish the job. Even if some of your advantages are not rare, they can still make beneficial contributions towards your business. Nevertheless, the way that you use some of your skills could be distinctive in giving you the upper hand.

    ReplyDelete

summer.roque@gmail.com