Opportunity
OSHA, Occupational Safety and
Health Administration, is an agency that was established to ensure safe and
healthful working environments for both men and women. OSHA regulations require
that an equal number of facilities must be provided for both sexes. For women
in construction, this provides an unmet need. The nature of this need is
serious, being that female employees in the majority of sites do not have
access to a sanitary restroom. Some might argue that separate facilities shows
special treatment to women and that unisex restrooms should suffice, however,
OSHA rule clearly states that “Employers should provide separate bathrooms for
male and female workers.” Sanitation rules, including provisions for female
employees in the construction field, have been in place for over 30 years.
Despite this, the opportunity is now being created because of the rapid
increase of women in the construction field. Demographically, I am targeting
females in the industry, however, this spans the entire country and can maybe
spread internationally.
The main issue present is that this
is an unmet need and even OSHA has acknowledged it. OSHA describes the
challenge as being that temporary restrooms are mostly unisex, and these
facilities are usually not maintained. As a result, women cut out drinking
water in an effort to not use the restroom. This can cause heat stress, urinary
tract infections, and many other health issues. This is a challenge that I have
personally gone through on the field. The bathrooms on my site were unsanitary,
forcing me to drive 30 minutes roundtrip to the nearest Publix twice a day and
limiting my water consumption to two bottles a day. I risked my health, spent
extra gas, wasted time, and it was an uncomfortable situation overall. This
opportunity is huge, not only in a business aspect but in an effort to change
the dynamic of the construction industry, a male-dominant field. Construction
is slow in regards to internal changes within the company, making my window of
opportunity lengthy, which I can use to my advantage.
Innovation
My innovation is called the
“Pink-a-Potty”, a portable bathroom that is “pink” in color and meant to meet
my female customer’s needs. It works just like any regular port-a-potty except
that since it is meant just for female use it will be easier to maintain it as
a sanitary facility. This restroom will offer feminine products for women and,
to ensure female-only access, will also bring an external lock that can only be
opened by punching in the correct code. This code will be changed on a monthly
basis, or per the company’s request. Each “Pink-a-Potty” ordered will also come
with a full service contract, so that the company trucks can come to the customer’s
jobsite once a week to empty out the restroom tanks and replenish supplies. The
supplies will include toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and toilet liners. Inside
of each “Pink-a-Potty” will be a toilet paper dispenser, a hand sanitizer
dispenser, a toilet liner dispenser, a bag hook, and a shelf. Some of these
items are not seen in your standard portable restroom. To have a successful
business, I will match the prices of other portable restroom companies. For
short term rentals I will offer portable toilets for $75-$100 a day per unit.
For long term rentals, contracts over three months, I will offer a rate of
$400-$900 a month per unit. The cost will vary based on how many units a
customer would like and will include drop-off of the unit, pick-up of the unit
once the contract has terminated, and a full service contract.
Venture Concept
An advantage that my innovation has is that it is a product
that people already order, and is a necessity on a jobsite. I think that
customers will switch from standard port-a-potties to “Pink-a-Potties” because
my company will also offer standard portable restrooms so that customers can
make a one stop shop. For example, if Smith Construction has a contract for 10
portable restrooms that is up for renewal, they can switch to my company and
open a contract for 7 standard toilets and 3 “pink” ones for the same exact
cost. It will be easy to switch because they lose nothing, yet gain a new
product, a safe workplace for women, and something that makes them standout as
a construction company. My competitors would be other portable restroom
companies, however, their weakness is that they don’t have my “pink” product.
Distribution, customer support, customer experience, and the business location
all play an important role in defining my business concept. I will need
multiple trucks for distributing the toilets, special equipment to empty the
waste tanks inside of them, and customer support to help clients order toilets
and set up contracts. With great support and distribution, customer experience
will be positive and I will have loyal companies that will use my products on
all of their jobsites. To start out, “Pink-a-Potties” will have an office close
to major construction sites in Miami, FL. The business will have 15 employees,
10 in the office and 5 out driving trucks. Eventually, my business will expand
and I will open more offices and hire more employees. Roles for the employees
include sales, service, accounting, distributing, and coordinating.
The Three Minor Elements
My venture’s unfair advantage would be my networking with
various construction companies. Not only are these contacts potential clients,
but they can also refer me to other businesses. The fact that I am a female in
the industry, the exact market that I am trying to target, makes it hard for
competitors to copy my success. My next opportunity would be to open a line of
pink personal protective equipment, from hardhats to vest to safety glasses and
more. In five years I would like to have opened more than a dozen offices
around the country and have over 200 employees. In the next decade, I hope my
venture has helped achieve my vision of creating an equal workplace for women
in construction.
The detail you used in your post was great. I never thought about this issue before, but now that you mention it I realize that it is a rather serious problem. It makes sense to build separate female-only bathrooms at construction sites where they are working all day long. I also think you would get orders from event coordinators who are hosting multiple-day outdoor events such as fairs, festivals, etc.
ReplyDeleteHi Summer! This is such an interesting idea. I have seen those regular blue port-a-potties and stay AWAY from there. I think those are disgusting. I think for events such as carnivals and events that have to be set up and set down that would be a great idea. I have worked in construction and there are rarely women. I like that you mentioned that you hope your venture creates an equal workplace for women in construction.
ReplyDeleteThis was such a great post. I think that many females would love something like this. I think that a port-a-pottie that is clean would be loved by so many people. It really makes a lot of sense to make separate gender port-a-potties as we have separate gender bathrooms!
ReplyDelete