Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Idea Napkin No.2

1) My name is Summer Roque and I am graduating in December with my bachelor’s degree in Construction Management. I am a licensed General Contractor in the state of Florida, and have worked in the construction industry since I was sixteen years old. My skills include knowledge of various estimating, drafting, and project management softwares and being fluent in Spanish. I aspire to own a successful contracting company that holds men and women as equals and that excels in “green” and sustainable construction. This business would play a role in my life because I would use multiple “Pink-a-Potties” on each and every one of my construction sites, and even I would have a proper restroom to use when I am on-site.

2) My business concept is to start “Pink-a-Potties”, pink portable toilets that are delivered to jobsites for women to utilize instead of men and women sharing a typical portable bathroom. Not only are these units pink, but they offer feminine products and proper disposals, as most commercial restrooms for women have. Construction companies who contract our services can order multiple units to their respective project and “Pink-a-Potties” includes weekly waste removal with each contract. We also will always make sure the units are stocked up with our products and toilet paper.

3) “Pink-a-Potties” is not just targeted to construction companies, any party that needs temporary restroom services can order from us. This can range from concert facilities, fairgrounds, maintenance work, and any outdoor events.

4) It is 2016… Women and men are equal. So why have portable toilets that are unisex? Specifically, in construction, the amount of women in the field in increasing. Back in the day only men were on construction sites, so those portable toilets might as well have a label on them that say “Men’s”. Studies have shown that your employees will work better if you treat them better. So why not order a “Pink-a-Potty” for those female employees to be more comfortable on the field, or any outdoor occasion? Especially if you have to order portable restrooms anyway!

5) What sets me apart from everyone else is that these portable restrooms are “pink”, literally and figuratively. We offer feminine products and disposals, along with normal service contracts like most portable restroom companies offer. Not only are we offering a product that in most cases are legally required, but we offer a chance for construction companies and other customers to show their employees or guests that they are all for equality of the sexes.

FEEDBACK MEMO: For this assignment I decided to keep my original idea napkin unaltered. I did not receive any feedback on my first one and did not feel that it was necessary to change anything or even knew what I could change in my post.

5 comments:

  1. I think you have some great traits and experience in the industry that your product is in. I also think you have a very interesting idea because I know first hand how disgusting portable toilets can be and by creating special ones for women, they can be cleaner and target a different market. However, what will make construction companies want to rent from you? If they are already renting regular portable toilets, why would they want to go to a separate company to rent additional portable toilets? Maybe you should create a portable toilet company and then have the pink ones as an additional option when ordering. I think it is a good idea, but you need to find a way to target the market and convince people that your product is a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer,
    This is an awesome idea! My boyfriend just graduated from Construction Management and he tells me all about his work experience. He never fails to include how awful port-a-potties are, and not to be sexist, but we all know who the ones are making them that way. Not only would it be helpful in a work field, but I could definitely appreciate that at a concert. I went to Sunset Music Festival and the port-a-potties were awful. TMI, but girl's biology also happens and being stocked with feminine products sounds so great. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, I think you have a great idea. port-a-potties are disgusting, truly. If I'm at a festival or out in public, I delay going to the bathroom as long as possible. But something popped into my head that I would love to hear your thought about. With the Target transgender bathroom battle happening, what would you do regarding your company? What would be your stance on that issue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer, I think its great that your business idea directly relates to your desired work field. I am sure you can appreciate more than anyway the benefits that this will have for women. I am curious, however, what makes the current port-a-potties so "male." Is the only difference really the color? Should your company or the contractors really be responsible for buying the female "products" that come with your pink toilet? I understand that current port a potties are gross but to me this system sounds like special treatment for women rather than true equality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the fact that you chose to pick an idea that can affect your direct career path. Rather than just being another construction manager in the industry, you looked at the industry as a whole and decided to change something. I have never realized the need for male/female port-a-potties, (maybe because I am a male, or never been on a construction site.) But I do believe there is a great target market for you and love the idea.

    ReplyDelete

summer.roque@gmail.com